What are the ICPC safeguards?
The ICPC offers safeguards to all parties involved in the adoption, especially the child.
- Requires both a home study of the adoptive family and that an evaluation of the interstate placement be completed.
- Ensures the sending and receiving state's laws and policies are followed before it approves the interstate placement.
- Assigns responsibility to the sending agency, thus guaranteeing the child's legal and financial protection.
- Allows the prospective receiving state the opportunity to consent to or deny the adoptive placement.
- Provides for continual supervision and regular reports on each interstate placement.
- Ensures the sending agency does not lose legal jurisdiction of the child after moving to the receiving state.