Should we update my will?

Once the adoption process is complete and you have welcomed your son or daughter home, take a few minutes to let it all sink in, and then make an appointment with your attorney to revise your Last Will and Testament. Having an up-to-date Will is important for all of your children whether they came to you through birth or adoption. There are many reasons why parents should have a current Will. The two most important reasons involve naming your children as beneficiaries of your estate and appointing their guardians.


How and when can we take the dependent child tax deduction?

Again, as outlined above, what is best is to consult with a tax advisor and preferably a CPA.  Generally, you would utilize the deduction in the year you took placement of the child, but that is not always the case and your case-specific facts will matter greatly.  You may apply to the IRs for an adoption taxpayer identification number if you do not yet have a social security number for your child.

Is there a tax credit for adoption?

Yes, and it is much improved and makes adoption much more affordable.  For calendar year 2010, the maximum credit is $12,170 per child, although the credit gradually phases out once your modified adjusted gross income meets $182,520, up to a modified adjusted gross income level of $222,520, when it completely phases out.  For domestic adoptions, the tax credit may be claimed, even if the adoption does not take place; however, for non-domestic adoptions, the tax credit only may be claimed after the adoption becomes final.  While without question meticulous record keeping is essential, the In

What is post-placement supervision?

Post-placement supervision begins after the child is placed with you in your home.  It entails at least one (1) face-to-face visit in your home, along with additional contacts to determine the suitability of the placement, over a period of at least ninety (90) days.  For the first ninety days, there is to be no longer than a thirty (30) day interval between these contacts.  If, after ninety (90) days, additional contacts are needed, your adoption professional and/or local home study professional will alert you.  Normally, whoever originated your preliminary home study is who conducts the po

Do we need to contact our health insurance provider to alert them once the baby is born?

Most insurance companies in Florida are mandated by law to provide coverage for an adopted child. Coverage can exist from the moment of birth if the adoptive family agreed to the placement prior to the child's birth. You should contact your insurance company as soon as you have a match so that you can ensure your coverage is in place for the child's birth.

As a birth mother, am I eligible to have my living expenses paid?

Yes, under Florida law, birth mothers not only can have their reasonable living expenses paid, but also their reasonable and necessary medical expenses, all of which may be paid during the pregnancy and for a period of up to six (6) weeks post-partum; however, Florida law only allows payment for living expenses for that birth mother who herself is unable to pay due to unemployment, under-employment, or a medically diagnosed disability.  Moreover, Florida law sets forth that reasonable living expenses encompass:  rent; utilities; basic telephone service; food; toiletries; necessary clothing;